Legacy Of Harry Belafonte, The: When Colors Come Together
Not yet reviewed.
'When Colors Come Together: The Legacy Of Harry Belafonte' is an brand new single-disc anthology of Belafonte's biggest hits and timeless classics, which also premieres a new recording of "When Colors Come Together (Our Island In The Sun)," performed by a children's choir.
The original recording of the song (co-written by Belafonte and Irving Burgie) served as the title music for the highly successful and at-the-time controversial 1957 film, 'Island In The Sun,' which starred Belafonte, James Mason, Joan Fontaine, Joan Collins and Dorothy Dandridge. One of the great pop standards in the Belafonte catalogue, 'Island In The Sun' has been covered more than 40 times since becoming a hit in the 1950s.
With each track handpicked by Harry Belafonte, ''When Colors Come Together' provides a complete overview of the Harry's musical career, bringing together his biggest hits and most socially conscious performances alongside songs that are simply near and dear to his heart.
Harry Belafonte broke into both mainstream success and musical immortality in 1956 when his breakout LP 'Calypso' became the first album ever, by any artist of any race or gender, to sell more than a million copies while his signature 'Day-O'(from 'Banana Boat') became one of the most instantly recognized melodic phrases in the world. Belafonte's sound signified an international island dance party, Belafonte was an inspirational and motivating force in the American Civil Rights movement.
Throughout his career, Belafonte has brought a high degree of social consciousness to everything he does, merging the activist with the artist in the flow of his music.
|Primary Format - Music||CD|
|Label||Sony Music Australia|
|Music Genre||Easy Listening|
|Music Genre Primary||Easy Listening|
- 1. When Colors Come Together (Our Island In The Sun) (new recording)
- 2. Jump In The Line (1961)
- 3. Banana Boat (Day-O) (1956)
- 4. All My Trials (1959)
- 5. Empty Chairs (1973)
- 6. Matilda (1956)
- 7. Angelina (1961)
- 8. Turn The World Around (1977)
- 9. Scarlet Ribbons (For Her Hair) (1956)
- 10. Abraham, Martin and John (1970)
- 11. On Top of Old Smokey (1962)
- 12. Jamaica Farewell (1956)
- 13. Brown Skin Girl (1956)
- 14. Island In The Sun (1957)
- 15. Those Three Are On My Mind (1967)
- 16. Try To Remember (1966)
- 17. Marys Boy Child (1956)
- 18. Look Over Yonder/Be My Woman, Gal (Live) (1972)
- 19. Pastures of Plenty (Live) (1972)