Not yet reviewed.
Embracing songs repeatedly requested by her legion of fans, 'Home' is Adelaide-born Greta Bradman's tribute to her homeland, and will feature 20 songs and arias that best encapsulate the essence of family, friends, and returning to one's place of origin.
Included on the album are favourite classical songs such as Dvorák's 'Songs my Mother Taught Me', Mendelssohn's 'O for the Wings of a Dove', and the Bach/Gounod 'Ave Maria'. Traditional songs include 'Greensleeves', and 'Auld Lang Syne', while songs with underlying spirituality include Franck's 'Panis Angelicus', and Henry Bishop's 'Home, Sweet Home', the latter recorded with just harp.
Also included on Home are orchestral arrangements of three songs especially for this album, by Richard Mills, composer, conductor and current Artistic Director of Victorian Opera. Working together with Greta, and using his fantastical sense of colour, Mills arranged and orchestrated the folk song 'Early One Morning', the seldom-heard Spiritual 'Let Us Break Bread Together', and 'Every Day Is A Rainbow Day For Me' – a song originally scored for voice and piano, and written in 1930 by Greta's grandfather, Sir Donald Bradman.
True to its 'homely' intentions, Home was recorded with the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra, the Adelaide Chamber Singers, and conductor Luke Dollman, it the glorious acoustic of St. Peter's Cathedral.
Greta Bradman, soprano
Adelaide Symphony Orchestra
Adelaide Chamber Singers (director: Carl Crossin)
Luke Dollman, conductor
|Primary Format - Music||CD|
|Music Genre Primary||Classical|
- 1. TRAD., arr. MILLS: Early One Morning
- 2. YON: Gesu Bambino
- 3. TRAD., arr. MILLS: Let Us Break Bread Together
- 4. COPLAND: Simple Gifts
- 5. BRADMAN, arr. MILLS: Every Day Is A Rainbow Day
- 6. GOUNOD: Repentir
- 7. MENDELSSOHN: Hear my Prayer O for the Wings of a Dove
- 8. TRAD.: O Waly, Waly
- 9. CHARLES: When I have sung my Songs
- 10. FRANCK: Panis Angelicus
- 11. RIMSKY-KORSAKOV: The Nightingale and the Rose
- 12. DVORÁK: Songs my Mother Taught Me
- 13. BISHOP: Home, Sweet Home
- 14. BISHOP: Lo! Hear the Gentle Lark
- 15. FLOTOW: The Last Rose of Summer
- 16. TRAD.: Greensleeves
- 17. BACH/GOUNOD: Ave Maria
- 18. BARBER: Sure on this Shining Night
- 19. FOSTER: Beautiful Dreamer
- 20. TRAD., arr. CROSSIN: Auld Lang Syne