At San Quentin (Classic Album Series)
Not yet reviewed.
In February 1969, Johnny Cash was nearing the peak of his popularity – his 'At Folsom Prison' album was a smash success - but he was nearly at his wildest in his personal life, which surely spilled over into his performance.
All of this sets the stage for 'At San Quentin,' that surpasses its predecessor and captures Cash at his rawest and wildest. Part of this is due to the shifting dynamic within his band.
Without Luther Perkins, Cash isn't tied to the percolating two-step that defined his music to that point. No other Johnny Cash record sounds as wild as this. He sounds like an outlaw and renegade here, which is what gives it power. He sounds that way throughout the record, making it the case that this is the best Johnny Cash album ever cut.
This 2CD set presents the entire concert, start to finish. Still grippingly intense after 37 years, it not only assembles all Cash's performances, but those by the other members of his stage show: June Carter, her mother and sisters (performing as the Carter Family), Cash's buddy Carl Perkins of "Blue Suede Shoes" (and "Daddy Sang Bass") fame, and the Statler Brothers, known then for their 1965 hit "Flowers on the Wall."
Cash's performances remain beyond criticism, but Perkins, the Carters, and the Statlers smoke nearly as much. Among the high points is their unreleased, spine-chilling gospel medley of "He Turned the Water into Wine," "Daddy Sang Bass," and "The Old Account." The accompanying DVD comprises a documentary shot at the show by Britain's Granada TV, in which the Cash performances act mainly as a leitmotif to its focus on San Quentin and its inmates.
Amidst a demand for iconic records and resurgence of vinyl sales comes the "Classic Album" series, a 2CD product line focused on the jewels of the Sony Music catalogue.
We are taking the critically acclaimed Legacy Edition versions of these albums, many out of print, and creating high quality mini vinyl replicas, similar to the much-loved Japanese paper sleeves. 2CD gatefold digi-pack, Black polycarbonate discs (to mimic vinyl look), Booklet, Obi strip, Inner CD wallets, Plastic outer sleeve
|Primary Format - Music||CD|
|Label||Columbia / Sony|
|Music Genre Primary||Country|
- 1. Blue Suede Shoes - Carl Perkins
- 2. Flowers on the Wall - The Statler Brothers
- 3. The Last Thing On My Mind - The Carter Family
- 4. June Carter Talks To The Audience - June Carter Cash
- 5. Wildwood Flower
- 6. Big River
- 7. I Still Miss Someone
- 8. Wreck of the Old 97
- 9. I Walk the Line
- 10. The Long Black Veil/Give My Love To Rose
- 11. Folsom Prison Blues
- 12. Orange Blossom Special
- 13. Jackson
- 14. Darlin' Companion(Live in Denmark)
- 15. Break My Mind - The Carter Family
- 16. I Don't Know Where I'm Bound
- 17. Starkville City Jail
- 1. San Quentin
- 2. San Quentin
- 3. Wanted Man
- 4. Restless - Carl Perkins
- 5. A Boy Named Sue (Live in Denmark)
- 6. Blistered
- 7. (There'll Be) Peace in the Valley
- 8. The Outside Looking In - Carl Perkins
- 9. Less Of Me - The Statler Brothers
- 10. Ring Of Fire
- 11. He Turned the Water Into Wine
- 12. Daddy Sang Bass
- 13. The Old Account Was Settled Long Ago
- 14. Folsom Prison Blues/I Walk The Line/Ring Of Fire/The Rebel-Johnny Yuma
Please try again.
^Discounts apply to most recent previous ticketed/advertised price. As we negotiate on price, products are likely to have sold below ticketed/advertised price in stores prior to the discount offer. Prices may differ at airport & express stores.