Robert Irving - The Decca Recordings
Not yet reviewed.
Despite bringing the orchestras of both The Royal Ballet and the New York City Ballet to celebrated peaks of brilliance in execution, the conductor Robert Irving left no more than a handful of recordings, nearly all made in the 1950s and 60s. They display his unfailing sensitivity to the needs of dancers, sometimes adopting slower tempi than concert performances but deftly maintaining a lively momentum. The works presented here are a mere fraction of the many important ballet scores Irving was closely associated with during his years at Sadler's Wells and the Royal Ballet, and the recordings amply demonstrate his gifts for musical nuance and spry agility.
Four Decca LPs have been compiled in their entirety for this newly remastered release. The first of them was recorded in July 1952: selections from Massenet's Le Cid and Constant Lambert's polished arrangement of music by Meyerbeer for Frederick Ashton's ballet Les Patineurs. In the early spring of 1953 there followed another Ashton commission, Lambert's own Horoscope, and then the two suites from Walton's Façade, interleaved together in the composer's own recommended ordering.
On two days in February 1955 Irving and the 'New Symphony Orchestra' (a studio band drawn from London's ever-whirling pool of talented orchestral freelancers) set down a pairing of Gluck and Gretry from the golden age of French classical ballet, the one grave and gracious (including the celebrated 'Dance of the Blessed Spirits'), the other more lively and comic in spirit. Irving's short career with Decca came to a close later that year with The Lady and the Fool, an arrangement by Sir Charles Mackerras of lesser-known Verdi numbers for a ballet at Sadler's Wells created by John Cranko.
New Symphony Orchestra (Gluck, Grétry, Verdi)
London Symphony Orchestra (Massenet, Meyerbeer, Lambert, Walton)
|Primary Format - Music||CD|
|Label||Decca Classics / Eloquence|
|Music Genre Primary||Classical|
- 1. CHRISTOPH WILLIBALD VON GLUCK: Ballet Suite No. 1 (arranged by Felix Mottl)
- 2. ANDRÉ GRÉTRY: Céphale et Procris Ballet Suite (arranged by Constant Lambert)
- 3. JULES MASSENET: Le Cid Ballet Music (Act II)(First CD Release On Decca)
- 4. GIACOMO MEYERBEER: Les Patineurs (arranged by Constant Lambert)(First CD Release On Decca)
- 1. CONSTANT LAMBERT: Horoscope Ballet Suite
- 2. SIR WILLIAM WALTON: Façade Suites Nos. 1 & 2
- 3. GIUSEPPE VERDI: The Lady and the Fool Ballet Suite (arranged by Sir Charles Mackerras)(First CD Release On Decca)