Award-winning British cellist Sheku Kanneh-Mason returns with Elgar, a brand new album of works anchored around Elgar's Cello Concerto – arguably the best-known work in the classical canon written for solo cello.
The concerto is complemented with a collection of pieces from Elgar's time. All pieces were chosen by Sheku as a reflection on the different moods and influences in Elgar's seminal concerto. These are beautiful and mostly new arrangements for various string settings, going from Sheku's own arrangement for solo cello (Blow the Wind Southerly) and cello and guitar (Scarborough Fair), to a special version of Nimrod for 6 cellos and Klengel's epic Hymnus for 12 Cellos.
Sheku comes from an incredible musical family in which all 6 of his siblings (he is the third child of 7) play instruments to a phenomenally high standard – yet neither parents are musicians. His talent and passion has led him to be named one of TIME Magazine's Next Generation Leaders, evidence of his ability to cross boundaries and draw new audiences into the world of classical music.
After winning the coveted BBC Young Musician competition in 2016, Sheku signed to Decca Classics in 2017. In 2018 Sheku was invited to perform at the Royal Wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex in May 2018, which was watched across the world by 3 billion people.
|Primary Format - Music||CD|
|Music Genre Primary||Classical|
- 1. Trad: Blow the Wind Southerly (arr. Kanneh-Mason for solo cello)
- 2. Elgar: Nimrod from Enigma Variations, Op. 36
- 3. Elgar: Cello Concerto in E minor, Op.85 - 1. Adagio Moderato
- 4. Elgar: Cello Concerto in E minor, Op.85 - 2. Lento Allegro molto
- 5. Elgar: Cello Concerto in E minor, Op.85 - 3. Adagio
- 6. Elgar: Cello Concerto in E minor, Op.85 - 4. Allegro
- 7. Elgar: Romance in D minor, Op. 62 (arr. Parkin for solo cello & String Quintet)
- 8. Bridge: Spring Song (from 4 Short Pieces for Violin and Piano, H.104) (arr. Parkin for solo cello & String Quartet)
- 9. Trad: Scarborough Fair (arr. Parkin for Guitar & Cello)
- 10. Bloch: Prélude, B.63
- 11. Bloch: From Jewish Life, B.54 Prayer (No.1) (arr. Kanneh-Mason)
- 12. Fauré: Élégie in C minor, Op.24 (arr. Parkin for solo cello & 9 cellos)
- 13. Klengel: Hymnus for 12 Cellos, Op.57
Please try again.
^Discounts apply to most recent previous ticketed/advertised price. As we negotiate on price, products are likely to have sold below ticketed/advertised price in stores prior to the discount offer. Prices may differ at airport & express stores.