Herbert: Cello Concertos / Operetta Spectacular
Not yet reviewed.
Born in Dublin, Victor Herbert began his career as a cellist in Germany, playing for Eduard Strauss, for Brahms and Liszt, and emigrated to the US as principal cellist of the Metropolitan Opera. It was in that capacity that he composed the second of two concertos, written for himself to play, which give him a tenuous foothold on the classical repertoire. They were first recorded as a pair by Lynn Harrell on this Decca album in 1986. 'Herbert was a virtuoso cellist,' says Harrell, 'and it shows in the music; he wrote so beautifully for the cello.' The fillers were character pieces as they are charming, originally for cello and piano, newly transcribed for the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields.
Established in New York, Herbert developed his orchestral and vocal writing and became an early recording artist. He even founded and directed the principal American organisation protecting musical copyright, which led to a notorious occasion when, having been presented with a restaurant bill, Herbert gave them a bill back for the unauthorised use of his music all evening. The restaurant refused to pay; he sued, and won.
By then Herbert was a composer for Broadway, with hits such as Babes in Toyland (1894) and The Red Mill (1906) to his name. Naughty Marietta (1910) and Sweethearts (1913) followed in time. All these and more are featured on a 1975 Decca Phase 4 album recorded by Salvatore 'Tutti' Camarata and 'his' orchestra. For an encore, Kiri Te Kanawa sings the big number from Herbert's 1911 show The Enchantress.
|Primary Format - Music||CD|
|Label||Decca / Eloquence|
|Music Genre Primary||Classical|
- 1. Cello Concerto No. 1 in D major, Op. 8
- 2. Cello Concerto No. 2 in E minor, Op. 30
- 3. Yesterthoughts
- 4. Pensée amoureuse
- 5. Punchinello
- 6. Ghazel
- 7. The Mountain Brook
- 1. Naughty Marietta: Italienisches Strassenlied (The Italian Street Song)
- 2. The Red Mill: The Streets of New York
- 3. Orange Blossoms: A Kiss in the dark / Mlle Modiste: Kiss me again
- 4. The Red Mill: Every Day is Ladies' Day
- 5. Naughty Marietta: Tramp, Tramp, Tramp / Mlle Modiste: I Want What I Want When I Want It
- 6. Naughty Marietta: Ah! Sweet Mystery of Life
- 7. Babes in Toyland: Overture
- 8. Sweethearts: Sweethearts / The Only Girl: When You're Away
- 9. The Red Mill: Moonbeams
- 10. Babes in Toyland: March of the Toys
- 11. Babes in Toyland: Finale
- 12. The Enchantress: Art is Calling for Me
Please try again.
^Discounts apply to most recent previous ticketed/advertised price. As we negotiate on price, products are likely to have sold below ticketed/advertised price in stores prior to the discount offer. Prices may differ at airport & express stores.