Art Of Edith Mathis, The (Limited Deluxe Edition)
Not yet reviewed.
The admired Swiss soprano, Edith Mathis, received her musical training at the Lucerne Conservatory, and completed her studies in Zürich. Following successful debuts in Zurich, Bayreuth, Cologne, and Hamburg she was cast by Karl Böhm as Cherubino in Le nozze di Figaro, and Cherubino proved to be the central role in Edith Mathis's repertory during her early career.
Böhm was also undoubtedly the conductor who left a decisive mark on Edith Mathis' aesthetic parameters and it was he who introduced her to Deutsche Grammophon.
Mathis' versatility is displayed in her recordings of Bach with Karl Richter; celebrated recordings of Mozart with Karl Böhm; Carlos Kleiber's legendary Der Freischütz; Mahler Symphonies with Kubelik; Berlioz' Damnation de Faust with Seiji Ozawa; and the role she created in Henze's 1965 opera Der junge Lord with Christoph von Dohnányi.
Alongside her operatic roles, Edith Mathis also has an extensive Lieder and oratorio repertory. This collection includes her complete Schumann with Christoph Eschenbach, Mozart songs with Bernhard Klee, vocal ensembles by Brahms and Wolf's Italienisches Liederbuch with Karl Engel.
"Mathis is a conviction singer. Everything she tackles is done with her whole heart and being" – Gramophone
7CDs celebrating Edith Mathis' 80th birthday (11 Feb 2018), through a selection of her most treasured recordings from 1960 to 1984, of opera, oratorio and Lied
First CD and digital releases of a selection from Wolf's Italienisches Liederbuch with Karl Engel
Includes recordings with Christoph Eschenbach, Karl Engel, Wolfgang Sawallisch, Karl Richter, Karl Böhm, Carlos Kleiber and Seiji Ozawa
40pp booklet (English & German) with liner notes by Peter Hagmann based on an interview with Ms Mathis exclusively made for this edition.
|Primary Format - Music||CD|
|Music Genre Primary||Classical|
- 1. Bach "Jauchzet Gott in allen Landen" (Excerpts from Cantatas)
- 2. Bach Matthäus-Passion
- 3. Handel/Mozart Der Messias (Excerpts)
- 1. Excerpts from: Haydn Die Jahreszeiten / Die Schöpfung
- 2. Excerpts from: Mozart Requiem / Dvorák Stabat Mater
- 3. Excerpts from: Brahms Ein deutsches Requiem
- 4. Excerpts from: Mahler Symphonies Nos. 2 & 8
- 1. Mozart Concert Arias & Excerpts from Ascanio in Alba
- 2. Mozart Lucio Silla
- 3. Mozart Zaide
- 4. Mozart Idomeneo
- 5. Mozart Le nozze di Figaro Don Giovanni
- 6. Mozart La clemenza di Tito
- 1. Excerpts from: Beethoven Fidelio
- 2. Excerpts from: Weber Der Freischütz
- 3. Excerpts from: Mendelssohn Ein Sommernachtstraum
- 4. Excerpts from: Berlioz La Damnation de Faust
- 5. Excerpts from: Richard Strauss Der Rosenkavalier / Henze Der junge Lord
- 1. Schumann Lieder / Frauenliebe und Leben
- 1. Schumann - Selection of Mozart Lieder
- 2. Schumann - Excerpts from Wolf Italienisches Liederbuch
- 1. Brahms Volkslieder / Duets
- 2. Brahms Selection of Liebeslieder-Walzer opp. 52 & 65
Please try again.
^Discounts apply to most recent previous ticketed/advertised price. As we negotiate on price, products are likely to have sold below ticketed/advertised price in stores prior to the discount offer. Prices may differ at airport & express stores.