The Monkees are ready to have some fun this year as the iconic band celebrates its 50th anniversary with the group's first new album in 20 years, appropriately titled 'Good Times!'
'Good Times!' features all three surviving band members – Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith, and Peter Tork. The unmistakable voice of the late Davy Jones is also included with a vintage vocal featured on one song. To produce the new album, the band found the perfect musical co-conspirator in Grammy and Emmy-winning songwriter Adam Schlesinger (Fountains Of Wayne, Ivy).
Much like The Monkees' early albums, 'Good Times!' features tracks written specifically for the band by some of the music world's most gifted songwriters, including Rivers Cuomo (Weezer), Ben Gibbard (Death Cab for Cutie), Andy Partridge (XTC), and Zach Rogue (Rogue Wave). The album also includes songwriting contributions by Nesmith ("I Know What I Know") and Tork as well as producer Schlesinger.
To help bring the anniversary full circle, The Monkees completed songs for 'Good Times!' that were originally recorded and written for the group during the 60s, including "Love To Love" by Neil Diamond, which features a vintage vocal by Jones. Harry Nilsson wrote the title track "Good Times!" which he recorded at a session with Nesmith in January 1968.
The production was never completed, so the band returned to the original session tape (featuring Nilsson's guide vocal) and have created a duet with his close friend Dolenz. "Good Times!" will mark the first time Dolenz and Nilsson have sung together since Dolenz' May 1973 single "Daybreak."
Other vintage 1960's tracks included on 'Good Times!' feature L.A.'s famed "Wrecking Crew" of session musicians.
|Primary Format - Music||CD|
|Music Genre Primary||Pop & Rock|
- 1. Good Times (Harry Nilsson)
- 2. You Bring The Summer (Andy Partridge)
- 3. She Makes Me Laugh (Rivers Cuomo)
- 4. Our Own World (Adam Schlesinger)
- 5. Gotta Give It Time (Jeff Barry/Joey Levine)
- 6. Me & Magdalena (Ben Gibbard)
- 7. Whatever's Right (Tommy Boyce/Bobby Hart)
- 8. Love To Love (Neil Diamond)
- 9. Little Girl (Peter Tork)
- 10. Birth Of An Accidental Hipster (Noel Gallagher/Paul Weller)
- 11. I Wasn't Born To Follow (Carole King/Gerry Goffin)
- 12. I Know What I Know (Michael Nesmith)
- 13. I Was There (And I'm Told I Had A Good Time) (Micky Dolenz/Adam Schlesinger)