Trio Through Time
Not yet reviewed.
Travel across four centuries with ABC Classic, as we embark on a panoramic musical journey: Trio Through Time, a history of the piano trio from Mozart to Sculthorpe.
Beginning on 1 September and running for 12 weeks, ABC Classic will premiere new studio recordings featuring the Seraphim Trio (pianist Anna Goldsworthy, violinist Helen Ayres and cellist Timothy Nankervis). Each trio will be broadcast in Sunday Recital at 4pm on ABC Classic, culminating in a 5CD boxset to be released in November.
The piano trio was often used to reflect the most personal thoughts and musical experimentation of these composers, and this series explores the development of the form, as well as insights into the composers and the cultures in which they lived.
“The trios of Haydn and Mozart speak to the values of the Enlightenment – good manners and polite conversation – while the trios of Schubert and Brahms threaten to explode out of the drawing room, both in their sound world and their levels of personal disclosure, heralding a new age of individualism,” says Anna Goldsworthy. “Our project offers a brief history of modern Europe, from the nationalism of Dvorak, to Ravel’s preparations for war, and to Shostakovich’s lament for his time.”
The trios have been recorded especially for this project in the Eugene Goossens Hall of the ABC’s Ultimo Centre, by ABC Classic’s team of producers and engineers. Each radio broadcast features members of the Seraphim Trio discussing the music, and you’ll also be able to browse listening guides on the ABC Classic website.
|Primary Format - Music||CD|
|Music Genre Primary||Classical|
- 1. MOZART Piano Trio in G major, K.496 (1786)
- 2. BEETHOVEN Piano Trio Op. 1 No. 2 (1793/5)
- 3. HAYDN Piano Trio No.39 in G, Hob.XV:25 (1795)
- 4. BEETHOVEN Piano Trio Op. 70 No. 1 Ghost (1809)
- 5. SCHUBERT Piano Trio in E-flat major, D.929 (1827)
- 6. FELIX MENDELSSOHN Piano Trio No.1 in D minor Op.49 (1839)
- 7. FANNY MENDELSSOHN Piano Trio in D minor Op. 11 (1846)
- 8. BRAHMS Piano Trio No. 1 in B major, Op.8 (1854)
- 9. DVORAK Piano Trio No. 4 in E minor, Op. 90 Dumky (1891)
- 10. RAVEL Piano Trio in A minor (1914)
- 11. SHOSTAKOVICH Piano Trio No.2 in E minor, Op.67 (1944)
- 12. SCULTHORPE From Irkanda III (1961)
Please try again.
^Discounts apply to most recent previous ticketed/advertised price. As we negotiate on price, products are likely to have sold below ticketed/advertised price in stores prior to the discount offer. Prices may differ at airport & express stores.