Meet Me At The Movies
Not yet reviewed.
Three years on from recording 'A Moment Of Now,' which placed the singer in the intimate setting of a duo with pianist Jacob Karlzon, Swedish chanteuse Viktoria Tolstoy now directs her attention to music from films.
'Meet Me At The Movies' is an emotional journey through the history of film and of film music. The singer's route takes her from Herman Hupfeld's 'As Time Goes By' from the Michael Curtiz film 'Casablanca' through to Björk's 'New World' from Lars von Trier's 'Dancer In The Dark.' It goes from 'Smile' from Charlie Chaplin's 'Modern Times' to Seal's 'Kiss From A Rose' from 'Batman Forever'. And it also takes in Michael & Lesley Gore's 'Out Here On My Own' from 'Fame' and Sarah McLachlan's 'Angel' from 'City of Angels' starring Nicolas Cage.
This is a selection of songs from films born of a passion. I know every one of the films that these songs come from,' says Tolstoy. 'And just about all of them are among my favourite films. Both 'Bagdad Café' and 'Dancer In The Dark' are at the top of my list - in each case I have a special connection to the music.'
That closeness can be heard. She gives each song a personal resonance and its own character. When Viktoria Tolstoy invites you to meet her at the movies, the emotions will run high.... and it will be a pleasure and a privilege to accept.
|Primary Format - Music||CD|
|Music Genre Primary||Jazz|
- 1. Calling You (from the movie 'Bagdad Café')
- 2. As Time Goes By ('Casablanca')
- 3. En Man [Marlowe's Theme] ('Farewell, My Lovely')
- 4. Out Here On My Own ('Fame')
- 5. Why Should I Care ('True Crime')
- 6. The Book Of Love ('Shall We Dance?')
- 7. Love Song For A Vampire ('Bram Stokers Dracula')
- 8. Kiss From A Rose ('Batman Forever')
- 9. Angel ('City Of Angels')
- 10. New World ('Dancer In The Dark')
- 11. Bonus track: Smile ('Modern Times')