Classic 100, The: Love The Top 10 & Selective Highlights
Not yet reviewed.
The Classic 100 is a highly anticipated annual musical phenomenon on ABC Classic FM. Each year Australians are asked to vote for their favourite pieces within a given theme, and in 2017 they were eager to champion their top classical music of 'love'.
The Classic 100: Love was broadcast on ABC Classic FM over one weekend extravaganza in June 2017, revealing a brilliant selection of favourites alongside some great surprises.
Listeners were treated to the drama of opera and the grace of the ballet, the tenderness of a love song and the soundtracks from our favorite romantic movies, and the countdown culminated with the announcement of Australia's favourite music of love: ‘Au fond du temple saint' from The Pearl Fishers, which received the most votes by a mile.
This 2CD set compiles the top ten works, and unmissable highlights from the remaining 100 of the world's favourite music of passion and heartbreak.
From the Pearl Fishers Duet – the unanimous crowd favourite – to Barber's evocative Adagio for Strings, and from the stillness of Dvo?ák's Song to the Moon to the rousing Habanera from Bizet's Carmen, there's something for everyone to love and enjoy!
|Primary Format - Music||CD|
|Music Genre Primary||Classical|
|Music Genre Secondary||Compilation|
- 1. BIZET The Pearl Fishers: Duet
- 2. PURCELL Dido's Lament from Dido and Aeneas
- 3. WAGNER Liebestod (Love-Death) from Tristan und Isolde
- 4. DVORAK Song to the Moon from Rusalka
- 5. PUCCINI Un bel di (One fine day) from Madama Butterfly
- 6. R. STRAUSS Im Abendrot (In Sunset's Glow) from Four Last Songs
- 7. KHACHATURIAN Adagio of Spartacus and Phrygia from Spartacus
- 8. BARBER Adagio for Strings
- 9. GLUCK Che faro senza Euridice? (What is life without Eurydice?) from Orpheus and Eurydice
- 10. DELIBES Flower Duet from Lakmé
- 11. PUCCINI Love Duet from Madama Butterfly
- 1. ELGAR Nimrod from Enigma Variations
- 2. MAHLER Adagietto from Symphony No. 5
- 3. MOZART Soave sia il vento (Gentle be the breeze) from Così fan tutte
- 4. MASSENET Meditation from Thais
- 5. MONTEVERDI Pur ti miro (I gaze upon you) from The Coronation of Poppea
- 6. BIZET Habanera from Carmen
- 7. DEBUSSY Clair de lune (Moonlight)
- 8. PROKOFIEV Balcony Scene from Romeo and Juliet
- 9. BACH Concerto in D minor for Two Violins: II. Largo ma non tanto
- 10. SCHUBERT Nocturne
- 11. SATIE Gymnopédie No. 1
- 12. TCHAIKOVSKY Tatyana's Letter Scene from Eugene Onegin