Day Of The Dead (Red Hot Compilation)
Not yet reviewed.
4AD / Remote Control Records are pleased to announce the release of 'Day Of The Dead,' a celebration of the Grateful Dead's music created and curated by brothers Aaron and Bryce Dessner of The National.
For both Aaron and Bryce, the Grateful Dead were a gateway to playing music together; the first music the brothers investigated deeply. The two recall their first-ever jam session at 14 years old with The National's future drummer Bryan Devendorf playing the Dead's "Eyes of the World" for several hours in Bryan's attic in suburban Ohio. The brothers were drawn not just to the Dead's songwriting, but also to the detail, spontaneity, and depth in the instrumentation.
A life-long love affair with the Dead, shared with the Devendorfs, was born in those teenage years and crested when The National were invited to play a HeadCount.org fundraiser with Bob Weir in March 2012. The band assembled for this event learned over 25 Grateful Dead songs, and most of those players went on to form the "house band" heard on many of Day of the Dead's tracks.
The compilation is a wide-ranging tribute to the songwriting and experimentalism of the Dead which took four years to record, and features over 60 artists from varied musical backgrounds, 59 tracks and is almost 6 hours long.
Produced by Aaron Dessner, and co-produced by Bryce Dessner and Josh Kaufman, many of the tracks feature an all-star house band made up of Aaron, Bryce, fellow National bandmates and brothers Scott and Bryan Devendorf, Josh Kaufman, and Conrad Doucette along with Sam Cohen and Walter Martin. The record shows the broad reaching impact and legacy of the Grateful Dead, both culturally and musically.
Day of the Dead will be released on 5CDs via 4AD / Remote Control Records. All profits will help fight for AIDS / HIV and related health issues around the world through the Red Hot Organisation. This is the 20th album of original music produced by Red Hot to further its mission and the follow up to 2009's Dark Was The Night (4AD), a 32-track, multi-artist compilation also produced by Aaron and Bryce for Red Hot. Dark Was The Night has raised over $1.5 million to date for the organisations fighting AIDS.
|Primary Format - Music||CD|
|Label||4AD / Remote Control|
|Music Genre Primary||Alternative|
|Music Genre Secondary||Compilation|
THUNDER (VOL. 1)
- 1. The War On Drugs - Touch Of Grey
- 2. Phosphorescent, Jenny Lewis & Friends - Sugaree
- 3. Jim James & Friends - Candyman
- 4. Moses Sumney, Jenny Lewis & Friends - Cassidy
- 5. Bruce Hornsby And Deyarmond Edison - Black Muddy River
- 6. Ed Droste, Binki Shapiro & Friends - Loser
- 7. The National - Peggy-O
- 8. Kurt Vile And The Violators (Featuring J Mascis) - Box Of Rain
- 9. Bonnie 'Prince' Billy & Friends - Rubin And Cherise
- 10. Perfume Genius, Sharon Van Etten & Friends - To Lay Me Down
- 11. Courtney Barnett - New Speedway Boogie
- 12. Mumford & Sons - Friend Of The Devil
- 13. Lucius - Uncle John's Band
- 14. The Lone Bellow & Friends - Me And My Uncle
- 15. Lee Ranaldo, Lisa Hannigan & Friends - Mountains Of The Moon
- 16. Anohni And Ymusic - Black Peter
- 17. Bryce Dessner - Garcia Counterpoint
- 18. Daniel Rossen, Christopher Bear And The National (Featuring Josh Kaufman, Conrad Doucette, So Percussion And Brooklyn Youth Chorus) Terrapin Station (Suite)
- 19. Angel Olsen - Attics Of My Life
- 20. Wilco With Bob Weir - St. Stephen (Live)
LIGHTNING (VOL. 2)
- 1. Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - If I Had The World To Give
- 2. Phosphorescent & Friends - Standing On The Moon
- 3. Charles Bradley And Menahan Street Band - Cumberland Blues
- 4. The Tallest Man On Earth & Friends - Ship Of Fools
- 5. Bonnie 'Prince' Billy & Friends - Bird Song
- 6. The National - Morning Dew
- 7. Marijuana Deathsquads - Truckin'
- 8. Cass Mccombs, Joe Russo & Friends - Dark Star
- 9. Nightfall Of Diamonds - Nightfall Of Diamonds
- 10. Tim Hecker - Transitive Refraction Axis For John Oswald
- 11. Lucinda Williams & Friends - Going Down The Road Feelin' Bad
- 12. Tunde Adebimpe, Lee Ranaldo & Friends - Playing In The Band
- 13. Local Natives - Stella Blue
- 14. Tal National - Eyes Of The World
- 15. Bela Fleck - Help On The Way
- 16. Orchestra Baobab - Franklin's Tower
- 17. Luluc With Xylouris White - Till The Morning Comes
- 18. The Walkmen - Ripple
- 19. Richard Reed Parry With Caroline Shaw And Little Scream (Featuring Garth Hudson) - Brokedown Palace
SUNSHINE (VOL. 3)
- 1. Real Estate - Here Comes Sunshine
- 2. Unknown Mortal Orchestra - Shakedown Street
- 3. Hiss Golden Messenger - Brown-Eyed Women
- 4. This Is The Kit - Jack-A-Roe
- 5. Daniel Rossen And Christopher Bear - High Time
- 6. The Lone Bellow & Friends - Dire Wolf
- 7. Winston Marshall, Kodiak Blue And Shura - Althea
- 8. Orchestra Baobab - Clementine Jam
- 9. Stephen Malkmus And The Jicks - China Cat Sunflower -> I Know You Rider
- 10. Bill Callahan - Easy Wind
- 11. Ira Kaplan & Friends - Wharf Rat
- 12. The Rileys - Estimated Prophet
- 13. Man Forever, So Percussion And Oneida - Drums -> Space
- 14. Fucked Up - Cream Puff War
- 15. The Flaming Lips - Dark Star
- 16. S T A R G A Z E - What's Become Of The Baby
- 17. Vijay Iyer - King Solomon's Marbles
- 18. Mina Tindle & Friends - Rosemary
- 19. Sam Amidon - And We Bid You Goodnight
- 20. The National With Bob Weir - I Know You Rider (Live)
Please try again.
^Discounts apply to most recent previous ticketed/advertised price. As we negotiate on price, products are likely to have sold below ticketed/advertised price in stores prior to the discount offer. Prices may differ at airport & express stores.