New Orleans Funk 4: Voodoo Fire In New Orleans 1951-1975
Not yet reviewed.
Soul Jazz Records' latest crate-digging excursion into the Crescent City vaults delves deep into the roots and history of the voodoo world of New Orleans Funk and as ever features a stellar selection of killer rare funk and soul!
The album is jam-packed with serious break-heavy, heavyweight funk tunes from classic New Orleans artists including Eddie Bo, Betty Harris, Dave Bartholomew, Johnny Adams and Eldridge Holmes (with the ever-present Allen Toussaint and The Meters as always behind the scenes).
There is also a host of rare cuts from a number of lesser-known second line New Orleans artists, whose fame rarely reached past the walls of the city, including Gus ‘The Groove' Lewis, James K-Nine, Norma Jean, Bob French, Chuck Colbert, Zilla Mayes and Joe Haywood.
Also featured is a selection of hard-core classic funk productions from the legendary Eddie Bo (James K-Nine, David Robinson) and the genius of Allen Toussaint (Eldridge Holmes, Gus 'The Groove' Lewis, Lou Johnson).
There also a number of super-rare independent New Orleans' one-off 45 single funk productions from the likes of Chick Colbert and Bob French. And lastly, New Orleans Funk female vocalists are in full effect with tracks by Betty Harris (whose 'Lost Queen of New Orleans Soul' has just come out on Soul Jazz Records), Zilla Mayes and Norma Jean.
|Primary Format - Music||CD|
|Music Genre||Funk / Soul|
|Music Genre Primary||Funk & Soul|
|Music Genre Secondary||Compilation|
- 1. Eldridge Holmes Pop, Popcorn Children
- 2. Gus 'The Groove' Lewis Let The Groove Move You
- 3. Dave Bartholomew The Monkey
- 4. Chocolate Milk Action Speaks Louder Than Words
- 5. James K-Nine Live It Up
- 6. Lou Johnson Frisco Here I Come
- 7. Norma Jean No Competition
- 8. James Waynes Junco Partner (Worthless Man)
- 9. David Robinson I'm A Carpenter (Part 1)
- 10. The Barons Ltd Making It Better
- 11. Johnny Adams You Make A New Man Out Of Me
- 12. Clifton Chenier And His Red Hot Louisiana Band Party Down
- 13. Eddie Bo Can You Handle It
- 14. Bob French's Storyville Jazz Band Y'er Comes The Funky Man
- 15. Joe Haywood Play Me A Cornbread Song
- 16. Betty Harris I'm Gonna Git Ya
- 17. Chuck Colbert & Viewpoint Stay
- 18. Zilla Mayes All I Want Is You
Please try again.
^Discounts apply to most recent previous ticketed/advertised price. As we negotiate on price, products are likely to have sold below ticketed/advertised price in stores prior to the discount offer. Prices may differ at airport & express stores.