NIMA Presents The Sound Of Indigenous Australia – Now & Before
Not yet reviewed.
Festival Records and Warner Music Australia, in association with the National Indigenous Music Awards, are proud to announce the 2CD release of 'Nima Presents The Sound Of Indigenous Australia – Now & Before.'
'The Sound Of Indigenous Australia' looks for the first time at both the thriving contemporary music scene in Indigenous Australia and the roots of that scene in the classic songs and artists of the recent past.
Divided into 'Now' and 'Before' discs, the collection poignantly opens with A.B. Original's game-changing 2017 Hottest 100 entry 'January 26' and concludes with Kev Carmody's iconic Australian classic 'From Little Things Big Things Grow'.
The 'Now' disc includes some of Australia's biggest artists including Jessica Mauboy, Busby Marou, Dan Sultan and Emma Donovan & The Putbacks alongside a range of tomorrow's stars, previous NIMA Unearthed winners and critics favourites including Thelma Plum, Emily Wurramara and Robbie Miller. Young rappers Birdz and Ziggy mix it with up & coming roots artists like Yirrmal, Gawurra and high school singer songwriter Tia Gostelow as well as electronic artists like Kuren and Electric Fields. It's an eclectic mix, showcasing the scale of today's Indigenous music talent, full of great songs and powerful messages.
The 'Before' disc features Australian icons from across the last few decades and is the first successful attempt to bring the key Indigenous rock & pop songs of modern times together in the one collection. Yothu Yindi's 'Treaty' and Archie Roach's 'Took the Children Away' kick it off; No Fixed Address' 'We Have Survived', Warumpi Band's ''Blackfella/Whitefella', Christine Anu's 'My Island Home', Coloured Stones' Black boy' and Gurrumul's 'Wiyathul' all follow, creating a history of contemporary Indigenous music never before brought together on one album. The collection celebrates other hugely important artists like Ruby Hunter, Tiddas, Pigram Brtohers, Troy Cassar-Daly, Jimmy Little, Blekbla Mujik and Vic Simms and shines a light on less well-known contributors to Australia's Indigenous music tome including Blackfire (featuring Kutcha Edwards and Grant Hansen of Marngrook Footy Show fame) and LJ Hill, whose 'Pretty Bird Tree' was recently recorded by Paul Kelly.
This super 42-track collection comes with full liner notes in a stunning 24-page booklet and is a great launching point for anyone looking to delve into Indigenous Australia's exciting world of contemporary music. It is released in association with the National Indigenous Music Awards and includes many of the artists who have been acknowledged across the event's proud fourteen-year history of celebrating Indigenous music's integral part in Australian culture.
|Primary Format - Music||CD|
|Music Genre||Pop / World Music|
|Music Genre Primary||Pop & Rock|
|Music Genre Secondary||World|
- 1. A.B. Original - January 26
- 2. Yirrmal - Mayangan
- 3. Emily Wurramara - Black Smoke
- 4. Gawurra - Ratja Yaliyali (Vine of Love)
- 5. Thelma Plum - How Much Does Your Love Cost
- 6. Kuren Home (ft. Ben Alessi)
- 7. Birdz - Black Lives Matter
- 8. Ziggy Ramo - Blackface
- 9. Apakatjah - Waru
- 10. Cassi Williams - How Can I Live
- 11. Eleanor Dixon - My Spirit is Free
- 12. Dan Sultan - Kimberly Calling
- 13. Emma Donovan & the Putbacks - Black Woman
- 14. Jessica Mauboy - Risk It
- 15. Benny Walker - Save
- 16. Luke Daniel Peacock - Dreambox
- 17. Busby Marou - Best Part of Me
- 18. Leah Flanagan - Chills
- 19. Robbie Miller - The Pain
- 20. Tia Gostelow - Vague Utopia
- 21. Electric Fields - Shade Away
- 1. Yothu Yindi - Treaty
- 2. Archie Roach - Took The Children Away
- 3. Coloured Stone - Black Boy
- 4. No Fixed Address - We Have Survived
- 5. Warumpi Band - Black Fella White Fella
- 6. Christine Anu - My Island Home
- 7. Pigram Brothers - Going Back Home
- 8. Gurrumul - Wiyathul
- 9. Frank Yamma - Nguta Waljilpa
- 10. Blekbala Mujik - Walking Together
- 11. Joe Geia - Yil Lull
- 12. L J Hill - Pretty Bird Tree
- 13. Ruby Hunter - Ngarrindjeri Woman
- 14. Tiddas - Innanay
- 15. Troy Cassar-Daley - Freedom Ride (feat. Paul Kelly)
- 16. Roger Knox - Streets of Tamworth
- 17. Blackfire - Island Paradise
- 18. Us Mob - Wrong Side of the Road
- 19. Vic Simms - Stranger in my Country
- 20. Jimmy Little - Yorta Yorta Man
- 21. Kev Carmody - From Little Things Big Things Grow (feat. Paul Kelly)
Please try again.
^Discounts apply to most recent previous ticketed/advertised price. As we negotiate on price, products are likely to have sold below ticketed/advertised price in stores prior to the discount offer. Prices may differ at airport & express stores.