R&B Hipshakers Vol 4
Not yet reviewed.
Hold it, hold it - this ain't over yet! I know: The passage of three long years since we last met may have led you to worry I'd abandoned my noble endeavor to unearth all of the mind-bending rhythm and blues in the nearly bottomless King and Federal vaults. But fear not. To paraphrase the immortal words of Titus Turner in 'Hold Your Loving', I'm gonna keep at it till the meatballs bounce!
I'm delighted to report that "Bossa Nova And Grits" features some showstopping acts new to the R&B Hipshakers series: There's 18-year-old Little Esther Phillips and her indelibly nasal voice, which would make her a star for decades to come; her fierce, piano-pounding fellow Texan Camille Howard, pushing 40 by the time she growled "You mole, you!"; Los Angelenos The Lamplighters, led by a young Thurston Harris (doin' sixty-what'd-they-say?!); the otherworldly singer's singer Jimmy Scott, just before a sad 20-year lull in his recording career that would be followed by a fresh round of well-deserved accolades in the 1990s.
And then there's our first dip into the oeuvre of guitar god Jimmy Nolen, who would basically invent funk guitar playing a decade later as a member of James Brown's band but is already wielding a pretty expressive instrument in 'The Way You Do'.
Some old favorites are back, too: It wouldn't be a Hipshakers box, after all, without brilliant new entries from Little Willie John, The 5 Royales, Hank Ballard & The Midnighters, Johnny Watson and Freddy King - he in a rousing dance-floor duet with series stalwart Lula Reed. Non-bouncing meatballs? We've got 'em. Slinky mambo beats? They're here. Back-toback odes to vino? Yep. Wailing instrumentals? But of course. Twin blast-offs to outer space? Check. Now just put the needle on the first record and prepare to taste the sound of these boss grits.
|Primary Format - Music||CD|
|Music Genre||Rock n Roll / Blues|
|Music Genre Primary||Pop & Rock|
|Music Genre Secondary||Blues & Roots|
- 1. Bossa Nova And Grits - Little Joe Washington
- 2. The Way You Do - Jimmy Nolen
- 3. Cherry Wine - Little Esther
- 4. Be-bop Wino - The Lamplighters
- 5. Hold Your Loving - Titus Turner
- 6. Stop Knockin' - Juanita Nixon
- 7. We'll Never Meet Again - The Midnighters
- 8. Somewhere Down The Line - Jimmy Scott
- 9. You're Lower Than A Mole - Camille Howard
- 10. Good Mambo Tonight - Wynonie Harris
- 11. She's Gone Too Long - Roy Brown & His Mighty Mighty Men
- 12. Syam's Blues - King Syam
- 13. Love Love Love D-r-e-a-m - Gene Wilson & His Genies
- 14. Same Old Thing - Amos Milburn
- 15. You Can't Hide - Lula Reed & Freddy King
- 16. Back On The Block - Sam Anderson & The Telstars
- 17. Baby Don't You Leave Poor Me - Clarence Paul
- 18. Don't Be Ashamed - The 5 Royales
- 19. Mister Glenn - Little Willie John
- 20. Space Guitar - Young John Watson
Please try again.
^Discounts apply to most recent previous ticketed/advertised price. As we negotiate on price, products are likely to have sold below ticketed/advertised price in stores prior to the discount offer. Prices may differ at airport & express stores.