Where The Girls Are Vol 9
Not yet reviewed.
The girl group world contains many unsung heroes and heroines: talented singers, songwriters, arrangers and producers who toiled behind the scenes on many significant recordings without ever achieving fame in their own name. And there are quite a few of them here on the latest volume of Ace Records' long-running "Where The Girls Are" series.
Jean Thomas and her group the Sweet Three, for example, here with 'That's The Way It Is (When A Girl's In Love)', also recorded under several other names and provided backing vocals for various Philadelphia stars. Come the early 70s they were recording as the Mellow Moods for Gamble & Huff. As Jean Thomas of the Sweet Three was to Philadelphia, Jean Thomas of the Rag Dolls, here with 'Society Girl', was to New York. Jean sang on literally hundreds of sessions for some of the biggest names in the business and supplied incognito lead vocals on singles by many girl groups.
Among the other highlights on the collection are new-to-CD girl group gems by the Penny Sisters, the Popsicles (really Ellie Greenwich in disguise) and Evie Sands, plus previously unissued titles by 2 Of Clubs, the Blossoms and the mysterious Bluezettes. Compilation and note by Mick Patrick.
|Primary Format - Music||CD|
|Music Genre Primary||Pop & Rock|
|Music Genre Secondary||Compilation|
- 1. That's The Way It Is (When A Girl's In Love) - The Sweet Three
- 2. Society Girl - The Rag Dolls
- 3. Little Boy - Diane Christian
- 4. I Don't Want To Be Your Baby Anymore - The Popsicles
- 5. What A Lonely Way To Start The Summertime -the Bitter Sweets
- 6. Something Strange Is Going On - Roddie Joy
- 7. Billy Sunshine - Evie Sands
- 8. Come Down - Honey Ltd
- 9. With A Kiss - The Bluezettes
- 10. Don't Forget - The Murmaids
- 11. I Can Tell (I'm Losing Your Love) - Lena Calhoun & The Emotions
- 12. You Better Stop It - The Lovelites
- 13. I'll Come Running Over - 2 Of Clubs
- 14. Mama Don't Allow - Reparata & The Delrons
- 15. Ballyhoo - Ramona King
- 16. Who Stole The Cookie - The Jaynetts
- 17. Young Daddy - The Francettes
- 18. I Need A Boy - The Penny Sisters
- 19. (they Call Him A) Bad Boy - Christine Cooper
- 20. What Did You Do Last Night - The Drake Sisters
- 21. Baby I Miss You - The Popsicles
- 22. On A Rainy Night - The Flowers
- 23. Sweet Kind Of Loneliness - The Darlettes
- 24. More Than A Friend - The Wooden Nickels
- 25. Moon Walking - The Blossoms With Billy Strange
Please try again.
^Discounts apply to most recent previous ticketed/advertised price. As we negotiate on price, products are likely to have sold below ticketed/advertised price in stores prior to the discount offer. Prices may differ at airport & express stores.