Handheld Gaming Consoles
What are handheld game consoles?
Handheld game consoles are portable gaming systems designed for on-the-go gameplay. Unlike traditional gaming consoles that you'd connect to a TV, handheld gaming consoles have built-in screens, controls, and speakers, allowing you to play video games wherever you are.
They often come with various features like WiFi connectivity for multiplayer gaming, Bluetooth for connecting game controllers, and touchscreen interfaces for more interactive gameplay.
What game console brands are available at JB?
There’s a reason why JB is the ultimate go-to destination for gamers in Australia - we carry the best game gear from the world’s top brands. Our collection of handheld game consoles includes the latest releases from world-class brands like:
What's the best handheld gaming console?
The “best” portable gaming console can vary depending on your individual preference. But our range at JB includes:
- Asus ROG Ally Gaming Handheld: Featuring a Windows operating system and AMD Ryzen Z1 processor, the Asus ROG Ally is gaining attention as a solid alternative to popular options like the Steam Deck and Nintendo Switch. Its compatibility with the ROG XG Mobile external GPU, diverse connectivity options and promising battery life make it a popular choice among gamers.
- Lenovo Legion Go: Boasting an AMD Ryzen Z1 Extreme processor and a vivid 8.8" QHD+ touchscreen with a 144Hz refresh rate, the Lenovo Legion Go is a leading contender in the handheld gaming market. Enhanced with WiFi 6E, Bluetooth 5.2, and versatile controls, it delivers an immersive gaming experience on the go.
- AYANEO Air Pro: Specs like the built-in fingerprint scanner, AirTouch technology, and ultra-wide viewing angle make this a crowd favourite. Plus, its Master Multi-Functional Controller boasts a Hall joystick and Hall Trigger for precise control and response. It even doubles as a laptop if you connect it to a large screen monitor or a TV.
- Razer Edge: Powered by Qualcomm’s Snapdragon G3x Gen 1 chipset, 8GB RAM, and 128GB expandable storage, it's perfect for native Android gaming, PC game streaming, and cloud services. It also boasts a 6.8-inch AMOLED display, offering a crisp FHD+ resolution and a smooth 144Hz refresh rate.
- PlayStation Portal: The PS5 PlayStation Portal Remote Player allows you to play your PS5 console using your home Wi-Fi, without having to use your TV.
If you’re a fan of Nintendo games like the Legend of Zelda, we also have a range of Nintendo Switch consoles that make a great alternative to the above. Our most popular ones are Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Switch Neon, and Nintendo Switch Lite.
What types of games are available for handheld game consoles?
Whether you're into FPS, RPGs, or classic games, handheld gaming consoles offer a rich library that caters to all types of gamers. This includes:
- Classic and Retro Games: Many handhelds come with emulators that allow you to play classic games from systems like the Game Boy Advance, Atari Lynx, and Neo Geo.
- Mobile Games: Android-based handhelds can run a wide range of games available on the Google Play Store, bridging the gap between mobile gaming and handheld gaming consoles.
- Arcade Games: Some handhelds are designed to mimic the experience of playing on an arcade machine.
- Platformers: Classic games like "Super Mario" and "Sonic Superstars" are available across multiple handhelds, including retro gaming consoles.
- Steam Games: Using Remote Play or Cloud Gaming, you can access a vast array of Steam games like Among Us, Hades, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, and more. Lots of Steam games have also now been ported to Nintendo Switch.
- Xbox Game Pass for PC: The Game Pass library offers lots of games you can play on your favourite handheld gaming console. However, you may have to use Cloud Gaming or Remote Play, as not all handheld consoles natively support Xbox Game Pass.
Can I play Playstation and PC games on handheld gaming consoles?
Yes, you can play PlayStation and PC games on specific handheld gaming consoles, but it depends on the device’s operating system and capabilities. That’s why it’s essential to choose a handheld that supports the game formats you're interested in.
How do I choose the right handheld game console for me?
To choose the right handheld game console for you, consider factors like the types of games you enjoy, portability, performance specs, operating system, budget, and connectivity options. Also, pay attention to the device's processor and screen type—OLED or LCD—for the best gaming experience. Consider the operating system, too, as it can affect game compatibility. Make sure the handheld console has all the features you need and is within your budget.
Ready to choose your handheld game console?
Head over to your nearest JB store or explore our online collection to level up your gaming experience. We also have tons of gaming accessories catering to every type of gamer. From Switch accessories like headsets and carry cases to Lenovo Legion screen protectors and headphones, we’ve got the perfect device and accessories to match your needs. Shop now and get your game on!
^Discounts apply to most recent previous ticketed/advertised price. As we negotiate on price, products are likely to have sold below ticketed/advertised price in stores prior to the discount offer. Prices may differ at airport & express stores.